A Memorial to My Husband

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day - June 21, 2009

Today is Father's Day all around the country (I am not sure about other countries) and many families will be joining together to show their appreciation and love to their fathers, grandfathers and even some great-grandfathers.

Some of us will be spending this day alone remembering the previous Father's Days before when our loved one was still with us. No matter whether you are a widow or a widower, it is another holiday we have to endure alone again.

I had a very special sign from my husband this morning on this Father's day. I was outside checking his rose bushes that he loved so much and a butterfly came up to me as I bent down to smell one of the roses. It only stayed for a minute but it reminded me that my Rea is and always will be with me.
Photo credit: http://mrg.bz/qnEK0e

Just because your loved one is not with you physically you can still honor them on this day by starting a new tradition.

* Take flowers to the cemetery and release balloons in the air to celebrate the father he was and the previous Fathers Days spent together.

* Light a candle for him or her, which is what I will be doing later this evening and writing a note to add to the box of other holiday notes I have written since my "dear sweet one" has been gone.

* Go ahead and buy that Father's Day card and write exactly what you are feeling on this day. Men can also buy a card for their wives and tell them how much you appreciated them for making previous Father's Days special for you.

The first letter of each line of this poem spells out; Happy Father's Day

How can I touch you when you're far away?

A poem is not as salient as a kiss.

Poems but poorly presences convey,

Perhaps because of all that words must miss.

Yet write I must because you are not here,

Father farther from my eyes than heart,

A face more frequent than it might appear,

Tempered by the tyrannies of art.

How might I be with you in ways that are

Equal to the passion of my yearning,

Reaching for a grace beyond the bar

'Ere there's any word of your returning.

So may the time between us quickly pass,

Days of longing that long cannot last,

A time when but through words we may embrace,

Yet know that soon we will be face to face.

Poems For Free Thank you for this poem.



Photo credit: http://mrg.bz/oj8K7J


I want to remind everyone to enjoy, love and embrace every one of your family members. We never know when it will be the last time we have the chance to say "I Love You."


No comments:

Post a Comment